Pages


Sunday, January 27, 2013

One More for the Road

I have some spare time this morning while Older Drama Queen sleeps in and Little Drama Queen is at a sleepover.

When I did WW before and now again this time around, I have heard a lot of excuses from people as to why they can't lose weight and I'm here to call bull**** on those excuses.  Believe me, I was one of those people who used the excuses and I hope I will not slip up and use the excuses again.

Excuse #1 when I tell people I joined WW:
I can't afford the monthly fee for WW.

My thoughts:
It costs about $40 a month to be on WW if you attend the meetings.  It's a little less if you do it online.  Find out what you spend most of your weekly money on and cut that activity in half.  For me, I would spend about $20 a week on books.  Reading is good, but it also became an addiction and money pit for me.  I would lay in bed all weekend long and read.  No excercise.  No healthy eating. No interaction with my family.

Stop spending money on fast food.  It may seem convenient but I have found that the amount of time I wasted on getting dressed and driving to the fast food place, I could've made my own meal in half the time and half the money.

If you truly are serious about losing weight and need help from people who have been in your shoes, I strongly believe WW is the way to go.  And if it's important to you, then you will find the money to do so.

Excuse  #2 when I tell people I joined WW:
I don't want to take the time to count points.

My thoughts:
Seriously???  How freaking lazy are you really?  I'm one busy mom and wife who works a full time job, shuffles kids around town every night until 8:00 pm and I can find the time to track my points.  Hell a lot of the foods already have the point value on the front of the box.  Most of us have smart phones and WW has made it so easy to track points.  It has a scanner app so you can just scan food at the grocery store and most of the time the point value will pop up.  But if it doesn't then just plug a few numbers into the calculator and you find the point value.  I spend about 2 minutes each day tracking my food intake.

So you don't want to join WW?  That's fine...find an app or program that will help you count your calories.  I have some friends who have been very succesful using the Lose It app.  The key is that you HAVE to track your food!!!!  It will hold you accountable for what you eat and you will make better decisions.

Excuse #3 when I tell people I joined WW:
I never had any success with it and was sick when I tried WW.

My thoughts:
You weren't following the plan then.  The plan has changed a lot since I was on it over 4 years ago.  You can still eat and drink whatever you want on WW, you just can't have it 7 days a week.  And that is really true for any calorie counting plan.  WW has you incorporate lots of fruits, veggies, dairy, and water into their plan.  They give you 49 extra points each week so you can splurge and the program gives you activity points to use if you get your butt off the couch and get active.  I know several drs that endorse this plan.  It's not a quick plan.  You don't drink shakes to flush out your system.  There are no miracle pills.  The plan is to teach you how to live a healthy lifestyle without being deprived.  I still go out to fast food places.  I just chose to get smaller portions and if I'm still hungry, I grab a fruit to fill me up.

Excuse #4
I don't like to excercise because I don't have the time.

My thoughts:
You have the time to drive thru and get Whataburger for dinner and watch Biggest Loser don't  you?  Get off your ass and go for a walk around the block.  You will feel so much better.  But if you're going to start exercising don't ruin it by going to Whataburger or Braum's to reward your self.

Excuse #5
I don't like fruits and/or veggies

My thoughts:
Too bad sister!!!  You have to eat fruits and veggies.  I am not a big veggie person but I LOVE fruit.  When I know I need veggies, I'll go to Subway and get a sandwich and load up on veggies.  To be perfectly honest, I have no clue what to look for at the grocery store when purchasing veggies.  I just stick with the bagged baby spinach, carrots, and cucumbers.  You are an adult.  Grow up and try a vegetable or two.  You may like it.

You wanna know something?  All of these excuses I listed above are excuses I have made over the years.  If I can do it, you can do it.  I remember a friend of mine texting me and inviting me to go run with her.  My reply back was, "If I'm going to run anywhere, it's going to be to the refrigerator to get my ice cream."  I'm glad that I got back in the zone and am really focusing.  It's not all that bad and I feel so much better.

If you would like some encouragement and need help getting started, you know how to get in touch with me.  But if you're not seriously ready and are going to keep making excuses, don't waste my time.  I don't have the energy for it.

One last note...My friend, Jenn, would randomly send me texts or FB posts telling me I need to start running.  She would get on to me about all the Cokes and sugar I was consuming.  I knew she was right, but I wasn't ready to give all that up.  I did not waste her time in helping get over my pity party.  Now that I'm serious, I yearn for her help.  Even though she is 2,000 miles away, we text everyday and she checks up on me.  I never once doubted her knowledge of nutrition or exercising and so far she has been spot on with everything she has suggested to me.  And I love passing that knowledge on to others.


No comments:

About Me

I live in Texas with my wonderful husband, 2 daughters, 2 cats and 1 dog. There is never a dull moment in our house.